Growth Mindset

August 20 2016. "Growth Mindset" http://natecooper.co/2016/08/territorial-versus-action-mindset/10-growth-mindset-statements/


Hey friends!

What a great week of classes. Especially interesting was this week's mathematics class where we learned all about the "Growth Mindset". Although the Growth Mindset isn't a mathematical equation, I believe it will be the key to my improvement within the mathematical field, and my eventual ability to teach mathematics in the classroom. What really stuck with me was worrying more about learning, development, and personal improvement, rather than worrying about how smart you are, which is subjective in itself. I feel as though I get caught up with grades and comparing my intelligence to others, rather than focusing on my personal development.

Growth mindset is consistent with improving motivation, innovation, and productivity. Those who believe their talents can be developed have a growth mindset. If I went into this course close minded because I had struggled in math previously, I would be using a fixed mindset and shying away from the challenge. By using a growth mindset and being open to the challenge and opening to my personal development, I will likely achieve more and put more energy into my learning.

I feel like math has a sort of baggage with it, or series of misconceptions, that you are either good or bad at math, and if you get it, you'll do well, but if you don't get it, there is no point in trying. With math, even though answers can be right or wrong, we as educators need to praise effort over intelligence, and allow students to learn from mistakes by developing new strategies to teach them to try and approach and understand problems. Getting the correct answer still matters, but growth mindset would see that the process of arriving at the answer matters too. We as teachers should encourage multiple attempts at problem solving, offer help and encourage students to ask questions, and even provide students opportunities to resubmit their work. The idea is not grading student work, and moving onto the next unit, but instead reflecting on where their understanding lacked and focusing on how we can improve that understanding.

By taking on a growth mindset one will find themselves taking on a challenge and persisting through said challenge, rather than shying away in fear. One will take on a deeper level of self-awareness, and praising effort rather than results. Believing that I can always develop switches my thought process to that of a growth mindset. This is relevant to my own learning, but more importantly I believe it will lead me to then teach my students how to have a growth mindset as well; and ultimately heighten their learning experiences and successes. I am so excited to learn more about the growth mindset and one day be able to implement that in the classroom to create the best possible learning experience for my students. This will mean focusing on my students' development and growth, building on their already existing base of knowledge, and avoiding labels and negative attitudes.

I have embedded a great short video outlining the growth mindset for you to take a look at! Additionally I have added a picture exemplifying "Growth Mindset Statements", perfect for the classroom.


Comments

  1. Hi Haley! I also loved learning about the "Growth Mindset" this week. I think it's an extremely important way of thinking that essentially leads to success. We often see students with a "Fixed Mindset" when it comes to math, so as educators, it is our job to help students realize that they ARE capable and should learn from mistakes. I try to maintain a growth mindset in myself and hope to encourage my students to do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts